As social media plays an ever-increasing role in the importance of PR, students HAVE to learn to use these tools effectively. I wanted to share a few easy to remember points about Twitter and LinkedIn. These are 2 social networking sites where every PR professional should have an active presence.
Twitter (I'm @Andrew_ShipPR)
- Make sure your profile explains exactly why you're on Twitter ~ "A PR student in _________ looking to develop relationships with PR pros that will help me learn and develop as a communicator"
- Put your LinkedIn web address or personal blog into the "web" section of the profile
- DO NOT protect your tweets ~ That doesn't exactly scream transparency...
- Interact with industry leader's ~ Check out one of my previous posts that goes more in-depth: "Building Relationships with PR Pros through Twitter"
- Pick a vanity URL ~ Ex. http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewshipPR
- Have a professional picture
- When inviting people to connect, personalize the message ~ It takes less than a minute, it will set you apart, and it will open up communication
- Make sure you fill your profile out to 100% completion ~ Remember the more robust your profile the higher likelihood your profile will come up in search results.
Feel free to check out all the presentation slides ~
The most important thing to remember, above all else, is to be yourself. Nothing can replace The Human Factor.
Do you have any additional suggestions? I would love to hear them ~
Until next time, whether its B2B or B2C, it's all Business to Person